Skip to main content

End of an era!

   bhajagovindaM bhajagovindaM

govindaM bhajamuuDhamate .

saMpraapte sannihite kaale

nahi nahi rakshati DukRiJNkaraNe




This was a song I heard, playing on the tape recorder, every single day for the years that I lived with Ammamma. I never bothered understanding the meaning but listening to it now, I know how appropriate it is to her approach to life as she grew older. 



Visiting Ammamma in July
     

At 108, she always had the brightest smile and sense of humour to try and keep an incoherent conversation alive with kids, grandkids, great grandkids & great-great grandkids. All she enjoyed even as she approached her century was prayers, watching the bustling street of Kingsway, a hello to her neighbours and the once in a while indulging herself in a piece of chocolate. Her food and other needs were super minimal. She lived by herself and on her terms. I won't go into the horrors of how adamant at times but instead...


My most memorable moments with her were spending time making pachchadi(pickle) using a traditional style stone grinder, cousins and I getting sweets and other prasadam from her daily, getting home remedies shoved down our throats, getting pampered with a loot of seasonal fruits from the farm, and once in a while getting yelled at for something naughty we did. The house was full with 2 families & 7 kids, so you can imagine how crazy it got. My first lesson of pranayama was with her and my first experience of a strong woman that could fight back(gaalis included at times) was with her. No wonder the spirit trickled down to my mom to some extent.


With kids, grandkids and a great grand kid (this is just part of the family!)

Her incredible home remedies are known far and wide amongst relatives, the neighbourhood, and friends of friends. I feel that’s what has helped her get through this far with zero hospitalization and zero medical conditions. Simple living, body in motion and healthy eating. It's an incredible feat come to think of it given how people as young as in their 30s or 40s are getting diagnosed with the worst of health conditions. 


Read perfectly fine with no glasses at 100!

                                


I spent some of my toughest and formative years in the Kingsway house and Ammamma’s passing away feels like the end of an era. A time that was filled with so many happy-go-lucky times despite the tough times. She was holding down the fort which is a mighty 3-storied building. This July when I visited her, the building started to fall apart due to the heavy rains. I wonder if that was a sign. Ammamma’s health deteriorated since her 108th birthday in August. She looked so happy with the chocolate cake just like a toddler with her toothless grin.


Ammamma celebrating 108!

                                         

Some fun facts about this legend:

- She lived through WWI, WWII, India's Independence struggle, & Y2K

- She has 7 kids, 20 grand kids, 25 great grand kids & 2 great great grand kids


Ammamma, I miss your pachchadi, I miss enjoying Holi, Sankranthi, Diwali and all the other festivals with cousins in your house, I miss the cramped up get-togethers, I miss your payasam, I miss your fearlessness, I don’t want to miss your home remedies so I’ll try to use them and remember you through them but above all I will miss hugging your frail body.





A fav thing to do with her great grand kids was to pretend like her veins were snakes











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life and its relation to the Circle!

Senility begins and middle age ends when descendants outnumber friends. Too early for me to think about middle age and lesser friends but a series of events got me wondering if I was getting there earlier than I am supposed to. With my son away in desh, I was heavily dependent on technology to ensure I stayed in his hippocampus. As most trips to India, this one was heavily planned as well, and I was overtly excited about it but a sudden unfortunate incident brought me back to square one. The last year has been marked by constant changes that have tested me for flexibility of a trapeze artist considering my resistance to change is unpleasant(very mildly put) to me and others around me. The one thing I have admired in a very good friend but hated being put through was to be able to let go of a structure and not have a boundary. Ironically, its the one thing I have come out learning with all of these changes. My father-in-law that I barely got to spend time with passed away in a month

Deliver us from religion, Amen!

It was a nice breezy evening, an invitation to a relatives house didn't seem like the best thing to be doing but what the hell, I am here to stay so might as well start getting used to this phase of life. A few appetizers down the tummy started a conversation I am not particularly fond of. The quintessential NRIs and a couple of visiting deshvasis' chatting about how we should make an effort in preserving the Hindu in us through the gentle touch of shringar kumkum on our foreheads. It started with the reprimanding of an innocent 12yr old for not doing so. My eyes started to roll involuntarily. There was a gentleman who taught the Indians of the world about Hindutva There was a gentleman who taught Indians of the world about karma and dharma and there was the gentleman who also didn't bother to take care of his papa and mumma so, enlighten me now what is the jazz of teaching about Hindutva? An article I read some where once said 'Indian values are a red herring.&