Skip to main content


I loved Dudey and always will! If you have a pet or would love to have a pet ... i am guessing you would understand when i say its the best feeling to be woken up by a warm lick on your face... thats pretty much how my mornings would start... he used to wait for me to wake up just to come sit on my lap like a little boy (just that he wasnt really little in size), let me hug him and kiss him to my hearts content... and then bark me a bye when i take off for the day.

I've always had these bouts to start posting on my blog but nothing really pushed me this bad till now. Dudey passed away on May 4 leaving all of us devastated. Devastated, frustrated and helpless. Helpless cause we didn't prevent it from happening... frustrated because we still couldn't do anything to the people who took him away from us. I've written to newspapers, complained to "animal welfare/protection organizations"... one obliged.. the others did not bother as yet... which is why my first real post about something that is so inhuman yet so common.

He was hurt by the same people who used to call him 'The white lion of Motilal Nehru nagar.' They requested him for breeding with their female lab, kept him the whole day inspite of him falling ill within an hours time, forced bred him in the summer heat which led to two days of suffering and death. They kept us in the dark but thanks to their servant who secretly confessed and the doctors who confirmed it, we knew he was tortured. These people are my neighbours of 30 years!

Our ignorance about this inhumane practice and blind trust in our neighbours is what led to this. If you love your dog or knows somebody who does, I want you to read this, be aware of this, and make others aware of this. Forced breeding is something a lot of male dogs go through. Depending on how greedy/skilled the person involved is, they either succumb or survive. Please do not trust your loved one with anybody at all!

Kennels, breeders, neighbours, friends, anybody who requests for your dog to breed, make sure you are with your dog. A couple of things you need to know about breeding:

1) Breeding should always be done where the male dog stays so he is more comfortable.
2) Winters are a good time for breeding and summers are a big no-no. Anybody who approaches you about breeding your dog in summers either is ignorant or does not give a shit about what happens to your dog. Dogs cant take the summer heat along with the body heat for breeding due to which they might even suffer of a heart attack.
3) Never let anybody mess with something that is a natural process. They mate .. they mate.. they don't ... just let it go! Please please please do not get greedy about puppies and how much money you are going to make out of them.


A couple of things i would like to warn you about:

1) Please ask around before leaving your dog at any kennel
2) DO NOT trust breeders or anybody else with your dog for mating. Please be there with your dog at all times.
3) If possible, make arrangements with a dog lover or a trusted friend to take care of your dog if you have to travel, and you are back make sure you do a thorough check of your dog.

The doctors that treated Dudey during his last days told us about horror stories about how some breeders without caring about the male dog give them injections artificially stimulate them and make them mate with 4-5 female dogs in a day. A week later the male dog dies!!! Its disgusting how people are getting greedy for quick money through forced breeding! I've lost somebody who has given nothing but unconditional love to me. Today is the 13th day after his death, the day they say we pray for loved ones who pass away to go to heaven. I am glad I've posted this today. I hope I have been successful in saving some more angels from going through this
horror!







Comments

Sri said…
omg! I feel terrible reading this. So sorry for the loss.

And you have made one person more aware that such things can happen!
Unknown said…
Really sorry to hear this! Dudey was really adorable...and I can understand your pain Ruthu. It's unbelievable how people can do what they've done!

Love Dudey!
Ruthu said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ruthu said…
Ostar... i really dont need you to remind me of what i did wrong.. why do you think i even wrote the post.. so people don't make the mistake that i made... and the reason all this happened was because i was not in town! my neighbours requested my mom who was alone at home... I treated my dog as a baby too... so pls stop commenting like i didn't care... seriously you are not doing any good ... and he didn't die just of heat exhaustion... the summer heat added to what the real problem was i left out a lot of details about the symptoms coz of how it would affect the readers ... why do you think i kept stressing through out that you need to be with your dog... because i couldn't be there!!! and i know what happened because i wasn't there. why am i even explaining all this to you??? visitors who've understood where i fell short will hopefully make sure they don't make the same mistake again.. but i request you to stop visiting my stupid blog or even commenting coz i really don't want to waste your time.. why don't you just follow some other blog now that you know its a stupid stupid person writing this blog.
Denise said…
Sorry about what happened to Dudey Ruthu!!! I know what you mustve gone through - I saw the pain in you!!!
Hey Ruthu,

I chanced upon your blog when i was randomly looking at the bloggers here in Google. Your post here just brought tears to my eyes. I am really really sorry for your loss.

I had a lab as well, lost him to natural death 2 years back, I am still mourning. This is what I had written as my good bye. http://wildwingsandmusings.blogspot.com/2008/02/ode-to-him.html

If anything, all I could say is that I am sure Dudey was a wonderful dog, and he is in his own beautiful heaven of fields and fields and lovely breeze, for him to hop skip and play. He is free and happy there I am sure. :)

Love Dudey, God Bless.

Popular posts from this blog

End of an era!

    bhajagovindaM bhajagovindaM govindaM bhajamuuDhamate . saMpraapte sannihite kaale nahi nahi rakshati DukRiJNkaraNe This was a song I heard, playing on the tape recorder, every single day for the years that I lived with Ammamma. I never bothered understanding the meaning but listening to it now, I know how appropriate it is to her approach to life as she grew older.  Visiting Ammamma in July       At 108, she always had the brightest smile and sense of humour to try and keep an incoherent conversation alive with kids, grandkids, great grandkids & great-great grandkids. All she enjoyed even as she approached her century was prayers, watching the bustling street of Kingsway, a hello to her neighbours and the once in a while indulging herself in a piece of chocolate. Her food and other needs were super minimal. She lived by herself and on her terms. I won't go into the horrors of how adamant at times but instead... My most memorable moments with her were spending time making pa

Life and its relation to the Circle!

Senility begins and middle age ends when descendants outnumber friends. Too early for me to think about middle age and lesser friends but a series of events got me wondering if I was getting there earlier than I am supposed to. With my son away in desh, I was heavily dependent on technology to ensure I stayed in his hippocampus. As most trips to India, this one was heavily planned as well, and I was overtly excited about it but a sudden unfortunate incident brought me back to square one. The last year has been marked by constant changes that have tested me for flexibility of a trapeze artist considering my resistance to change is unpleasant(very mildly put) to me and others around me. The one thing I have admired in a very good friend but hated being put through was to be able to let go of a structure and not have a boundary. Ironically, its the one thing I have come out learning with all of these changes. My father-in-law that I barely got to spend time with passed away in a month

Lake Tahoe - A quick weekend getaway

One of the best things about being in a place like Bay Area is access to opportunities. No, I am not talking about Silicon Valley, I am talking about opportunities to getaway every weekend. One such weekend destination is North America's second deepest and alpine lake, Lake Tahoe. At an elevation of 6225 ft approx. Lake Tahoe, is easy to get to, and gorgeous as heaven. It has two seasons - gorgeous summers and snow-clad gorgeous winters. My nephew is visiting from the east coast and instead of doing a trip to the city again, this time around we planned on a day trip to Big Sur, the past weekend to Lake Tahoe. Not that these two places are not the usual to-do's but at least I hadn't been to either before. We live in the south bay so its about a 4 1/2 hr drive keeping in mind a pitstop since we were traveling with a toddler. Up until Sacramento and Folsom, it was just a regular drive through the US cities but once we hit the hair pin turns and mountainous terrain of Eldo