Skip to main content

Milestones

We measure our lives based on these, we are guided by these, & we change with these sometimes. Your first steps, your first words, then for the longest duration in between its about how much you scored, how many you scored or how much you made for your self and your next generation but there comes a time when you truly start living for yourself.

My dad turned 60 a few weeks ago and so I promptly tucked my son into my arms and braved the long journey to India with him alone. I've been fortunate to travel back and forth to India once every 6 months from the time I moved to the US considering most NRIs are known for their rather infrequent visits because of visa issues and sometimes their personal preference. Me, I am a sucker to go back every 2 months if I could. Hopefully in the long run I don't have to do this and will move back permanently. Friends and family say that will change with time.

This trip was very important to me. I wanted to be there to see my dad turn 60, I wanted to see my dad's twin who has been battling cancer for the last year but has been recovering at a steady pace say 'F$#@ you Cancer,' I wanted to see my son and nephews bring the house down, I wanted to see the friends that stood by me through my worst, I wanted to relax and make a trip that was about me not bothering myself with obligatory visits throughout your "India trip."

Who knew I'd do all of that and more. My mom, the busy ant, is always on the move, always eager to create something and so this time around, she revamped our simple terrace into a beautiful roof top garden with part of it in beautiful red tiles and part of it with terracota floor. As I lay on the terrace in the night I slipped back into childhood memories of sleeping on the terrace as a family and gazing at the stars. The night breeze was the best way I could've kickstarted my vacation.

Getting on the selfie bandwagon with my brother and cousin in an auto
Like most people, I was eager to celebrate my dad's 60th by throwing him a surprise party or something to that affect and call his friends in Tirupati and follow the usual format of a milestone birthday but I am glad none of that materialized because the next week had some much more to offer. My dad's childhood friend, a few aunts, uncle, cousin, niece, my brother together showed me the best time I possibly ever had on Tirumala. Our suite was up and chatty by 5 in the morning every day with my son taking the lead. It started with his jet lagged self just tip toeing about to see all the fans run and me right behind him reciting some nursery rhymes to keep him engaged. There is so much fun in useless banter with family and I had a few days of that.

Few things I am thankful to my husband and god for:

1) What a son we made! 24hrs of journey with a 2 yr and I felt the pinch for probably an hour. Parents of toddlers know how lucky I got there!

2) What a crazy set of parents I have: My dad bought a cruiser bike to mark his 60th and my mom re-designed the entire terrace and converted it into a roof garden. They plan to bring a home solar power system as their next project to keep them busy.

All in all it was one of the best trips back home. I miss being with my family, I miss the cacophony/euphony depending on how you see it, I miss the haphazardness of HOME!

Living the relaxed life

My dad turned 16
Grandma singing to her attentive grandson
One of the many green corners
Living his dream of taking his grandsons on a day out to the zoo



Thatha and manavadu moment on the terrace


His thinking space
Brotherly love

Perched on granny's safe shoulder
Granny's pet






Comments

sohini said…
I didn't want this post to end tutu!

Popular posts from this blog

End of an era!

    bhajagovindaM bhajagovindaM govindaM bhajamuuDhamate . saMpraapte sannihite kaale nahi nahi rakshati DukRiJNkaraNe This was a song I heard, playing on the tape recorder, every single day for the years that I lived with Ammamma. I never bothered understanding the meaning but listening to it now, I know how appropriate it is to her approach to life as she grew older.  Visiting Ammamma in July       At 108, she always had the brightest smile and sense of humour to try and keep an incoherent conversation alive with kids, grandkids, great grandkids & great-great grandkids. All she enjoyed even as she approached her century was prayers, watching the bustling street of Kingsway, a hello to her neighbours and the once in a while indulging herself in a piece of chocolate. Her food and other needs were super minimal. She lived by herself and on her terms. I won't go into the horrors of how adamant at times but instead... My most memorable moments with her were spending time making pa

Life and its relation to the Circle!

Senility begins and middle age ends when descendants outnumber friends. Too early for me to think about middle age and lesser friends but a series of events got me wondering if I was getting there earlier than I am supposed to. With my son away in desh, I was heavily dependent on technology to ensure I stayed in his hippocampus. As most trips to India, this one was heavily planned as well, and I was overtly excited about it but a sudden unfortunate incident brought me back to square one. The last year has been marked by constant changes that have tested me for flexibility of a trapeze artist considering my resistance to change is unpleasant(very mildly put) to me and others around me. The one thing I have admired in a very good friend but hated being put through was to be able to let go of a structure and not have a boundary. Ironically, its the one thing I have come out learning with all of these changes. My father-in-law that I barely got to spend time with passed away in a month

Lake Tahoe - A quick weekend getaway

One of the best things about being in a place like Bay Area is access to opportunities. No, I am not talking about Silicon Valley, I am talking about opportunities to getaway every weekend. One such weekend destination is North America's second deepest and alpine lake, Lake Tahoe. At an elevation of 6225 ft approx. Lake Tahoe, is easy to get to, and gorgeous as heaven. It has two seasons - gorgeous summers and snow-clad gorgeous winters. My nephew is visiting from the east coast and instead of doing a trip to the city again, this time around we planned on a day trip to Big Sur, the past weekend to Lake Tahoe. Not that these two places are not the usual to-do's but at least I hadn't been to either before. We live in the south bay so its about a 4 1/2 hr drive keeping in mind a pitstop since we were traveling with a toddler. Up until Sacramento and Folsom, it was just a regular drive through the US cities but once we hit the hair pin turns and mountainous terrain of Eldo