Skip to main content

Venerable Island

I’ve been wanting to go there for years now, thanks to the LTTE wipe out (for LTTE supporters, no offense but I am saying this purely in context of my plans for the trip) my Lanka dream was finally coming true. Tickets-check, bookings-check, numbers-check, shopping list-check … really bad co-passengers-was I supposed to check for this? I couldn’t wait to get off that Indian airlines flight not only because I was excited about Sri Lanka but because I wanted to be done with the smell of beer, sounds of my burping seatmate(I don’t know if that’s a word), and the sight of the same red-eyed seatmate staring at me. Nevertheless, I got off the flight and as friends, & fellow couchsurfers had briefed me the visa officials in Lanka actually smile at you and are friendly just like all the other people in the airport and the country itself.

I headed straight to Kandy from the Colombo airport. I had a really sweet cab driver, Kumara, who could barely speak English be my tour guide while we drove through the scenic roads enroute to Kandy. It took longer than I expected and got darker than it should’ve at 6’o’clock. The road to Kandy reminds you a lot of Ooty. But Kandy just had denser greens and taller trees. My family friends who were playing host live in this area called Anniewatte which is supposed to be the Jubilee/Banjara hills of Kandy. With narrow and steep lanes that lead to huge bungalows, there was something strikingly similar to Ooty again. I guess it’s just a hill station thing!


Kumara


view from the house in kandy

After paying a whopping 5000 SKRs for the cab ride, it was time for the usual pleasantries, gift & goods delivery, and a lovely home cooked meal. Considering I couldn’t do any sightseeing for the rest of the night I made my plans for the next day. It being the only day I spent in Kandy, I had to fit in all the sightseeing the same day. I kick started the day with a visit to the Pinnewala elephant orphanage which is an hour’s distance from Kandy. The feeding time for the baby elephants is from 9:15 to 9:45 and we got a bit late so just about got to bribe the keeper to quickly let me feed the baby elephant a bottle of milk. After that we were told to follow the elephants to the river where they go for their daily shower. In spite of being answered in negative, I just kept hoping they would let us bathe the elephants but alas I just had to watch the big guys and girls go take a dip and cool themselves down with some slush (apparently it acts as SPF for them). I was still not satisfied so taking help of some widely used English words like ‘bath’ ‘please’ ‘me’ ‘elephant’ I got a peanut vendor to bribe one of the mahouts into letting me get close to some of the elephants and they succumbed to the 100rs!!! Aaahhhh the pleasure of travelling to a country whose currency rate is lower than yours...

The path to the river from the orphanage is lined with souvenir shops. You get the regular touristy stuff, elephant dung papers, things made out of this paper like albums, notebooks, crapbooks J. There is also a herbal garden that I refused to go to but my friends who went later told me they got free massages… damn me!.. oh but wait they also got fooled into buying a lot of expensive “herbal solutions.”

On my way back to Kandy, we stopped at another elephant bath and safari place where you can actually bathe the elephant and take a ride. So, I paid another 2000SKR just to do this but it was fun and completely worth it. My elephant was called Kumari. I first started scrubbing her in the stream while she was showering herself, then she moved on to showering me with the water. Before she could get any happier in the water, we got her out. My first trial to sit on her was terrible. I realized how inflexible and fat I’d gotten. Thanks to Chaminda who showed me some tricks to sit comfortably on her without having to die of cramps, we went for a nice 15 min walk along the road posing in between for pics.

I never get out of a tourist spot without shopping so I did my bit and bought a photo album made of elephant dung paper, a nice straw hat, and a king coconut drink. We then headed back home for a quick lunch and change of clothes.






pet porcupine (kiri) on my way





Kumari & I



Bridegroom & best men

baby elephant at pinnewala

elephants bathing at pinnewala


My next destination was a gems store called Hemachandras which was one of the trusted stores. The jewellery overall was not super impressive but they did have their share of exquisite pieces that cost a bomb. I stuck to picking one or two rocks. Sri Lanka is known for precious gems and that’s what I wanted to take back. After an hour and a half long looking around, I picked up two yellow sapphires and my huge credit card bill.

Next on the list was the tooth temple. I have to say I was not too excited about this but pretty much did it coz everybody does it. The temple was really beautiful and calm and the tooth well hidden behind golden doors. What I liked the most though was the lovely weather, huge green hills in the backdrop and the Kandy Lake to the right with hundreds of white birds perched on a tree right in the middle of the lake. I wrapped up the day with a lovely Sri Lankan home cooked meal, courtesy: the house maid.


behind these doors lies the tooth; outside the temple

I took the Friday early morning train to Colombo. I sat in what was called the ‘Observation Saloon’/first class. Although the coach didn’t look like the conventional first class, the view from it definitely was breathtaking. The coach had huge glass windows like in the song ‘meri sapnon ki rani.’ The route had quite a few tunnels and some of the best scenery I’ve seen in my life. I had once watched this episode on Discovery about a place in Germany where the host had to climb this hill to get to a point where all he could see was clouds under him and a few hills ‘peaking’ out from under the clouds and here I was a few stations past Peradiniya feeling the same way. Armed with a digital SLR camera, I couldn’t stop capturing but after a point I just gave up because no fancy camera can help you capture something this beautiful to complete satisfaction this apart from the fact that I am no film maker.


the best i could capture from the train

I got to Galle station at Colombo by around 9:00. Thanks to my homework, I didn’t get ripped for the auto ride and got to my destination without a hitch. ‘Parisare,’ a home stay run by an elderly lady, Sunetra, was highly recommended by a couch surfer I got in touch with for info on Sri Lanka. If the ride to Colombo was a high, the place I stayed at was a different high altogether with the open kitchen, dining & lovely sitting area that opens into the garden. The walls adorned with exquisite ceramic plates, family photos for the last 3 generations, antique furniture, and a beautifully landscaped garden and the room charges for a throw-away price of 1000rs for two days per person. My friend only wished the room was a bit better maintained.

After a good rest, we stepped out to start our day 1 of shopping. It was a ten minute walk to Odel, one of the known malls to shop for clothes & souvenirs. It is comparable to a Lifestyle but a cheaper version, and we obviously went crazy shopping. My friend almost picked up a Calvin Klein dress for 1500 bucks!!! Our 4 hours of shopping ended with an hour’s foot massage. It was the best ever. If and when you go to Lanka don’t come back without getting a nice foot massage from a FootRub outlet.

me and ammoo outside footrub


The rest of the gang joined us for dinner. Not knowing where to head, we just took off to the Galle Face hotel which is supposed to be the oldest there and in South Asia itself. The hotel flaunts of having a list of world famous people for its guests, Yuri Gagarin, Nehru, GB Shaw being some of the ones that come to my mind right away. After taking a guess of how much we might have to shell to dine there, we chose to taste some authentic sea-side Sri Lankan bandi food and by thumb rule they are always the tastiest. As we were experimenting with the yummy prawn wadas and fish fries, we bumped into a bunch of youngsters one of them being an Indian from Bombay who was super thrilled to bump into fellow countrywomen. They helped us haggle with the auto drivers to head to our actual dinner place ‘Beach Wadiya’ which lies between rail tracks and the beach, literally. This was definitely the best food I had during my trip in Sri Lanka. It’s just like those beach shacks with dim lighting and superb sea food. Hell, even the veggies were finger licking good. For the first time in my life, I saw a group of girls finish everything that was served to them including the dressing!

We ordered for the ‘Catch of the day’ and while we waited patiently, some of us took a nice walk on the beach and the rest played with the stray cat that needed some love.

After wining and dining, we were handed yet another book which had autographs of biggies like Princess Anne & Sachin Tendulkar as their guests. What is with this place and their cool lists?

They asked which airlines we worked for and before we could thoroughly enjoy the compliment, we realized that this is just because there are a lot of air hostesses that step out into the city if they are on stop over or return flights. This was further confirmed when we were asked the same details at other malls, restaurants & hotels. These places actually give an airlines discount so all the airhostesses out there … please make full use of this when you shop.

I wasn’t willing to wrap up for the night so Paroma and I left to get a taste of the nightlife while the others just wanted to crash. On our way, we were stopped at a checkpost. My instant reaction - faster heart beat & thoughts of police harassing us just like in India but I was pleasantly surprised when the commandos stuck to just doing their duty, check for our passport/ID and let us be. The Cinnamon Grand was a complete let down because after all the efforts of trying to get there our choices were: a bar where we got stared at for I don’t know what, a lounge which we thought was called ‘T lounge’ but realized it is a ‘tea lounge,’ and a club with Sinhalese music and couples ranging from 50 yrs – 70 years. I gave up!

Our plan for the next day was to cover as much ground as we could while doing the rest of the shopping. So it was supposed to be Mt. Lavinia, Negombo, and shopping in Colombo again. We hopped on to a bus to Mt. Lavinia and got to templer road which supposedly had a shop that had branded stuff for unbranded prices. I ensure I never miss out an opportunity like that so we got there, shopped quite a bit again. We next had to either head to the beach or this restaurant which supposedly had salsa instructors and all that jazz. As luck would have it, it was a rainy day so I actually never hit the beach! We walked for at least half an hour in the rain and gave up on finding this non-existing restaurant which we figured out later had a name change and we actually walked past it.

We needed something to get our spirits up after all the walking in the rain so what did we do? We hit the mall again! This time it was an improvised version of Big Bazaar called House of Fashion which was swarmed. For all you shopaholics, this place has a huge range of clothes for really good prices. Mind you most of the stuff is actually export quality branded stuff. I actually picked up a Victorias Secret night dress for 500 bucks! stuff for which I’ve paid crazy amounts in US. The only bad thing about this place is how crowded it is which can sometimes put you off and no trial rooms.

Our final day at Colombo ended with some really good conversations with complete strangers at Barista and a not so great dinner at Raja Bhojunam.

One big reason I enjoyed the trip as much as I did was my very experimental and fun travel mate, Ammu. It’s a lesson I learnt the hard way - pick who you travel with carefully. My friends are definitely smirking right now. My dream trip ended with making me want more of it. I know I am definitely going back to visit again hopefully for longer but it was time to pack my bags and head right back to my mundane corporate life.



Sunethra on her 200yr old antique sofa


parisare

Comments

Passion Paprika said…
LOVED it! Both the trip and the article.

Popular posts from this blog

End of an era!

    bhajagovindaM bhajagovindaM govindaM bhajamuuDhamate . saMpraapte sannihite kaale nahi nahi rakshati DukRiJNkaraNe This was a song I heard, playing on the tape recorder, every single day for the years that I lived with Ammamma. I never bothered understanding the meaning but listening to it now, I know how appropriate it is to her approach to life as she grew older.  Visiting Ammamma in July       At 108, she always had the brightest smile and sense of humour to try and keep an incoherent conversation alive with kids, grandkids, great grandkids & great-great grandkids. All she enjoyed even as she approached her century was prayers, watching the bustling street of Kingsway, a hello to her neighbours and the once in a while indulging herself in a piece of chocolate. Her food and other needs were super minimal. She lived by herself and on her terms. I won't go into the horrors of how adamant at times but instead... My most memorable moments with her were spending time making pa

Life and its relation to the Circle!

Senility begins and middle age ends when descendants outnumber friends. Too early for me to think about middle age and lesser friends but a series of events got me wondering if I was getting there earlier than I am supposed to. With my son away in desh, I was heavily dependent on technology to ensure I stayed in his hippocampus. As most trips to India, this one was heavily planned as well, and I was overtly excited about it but a sudden unfortunate incident brought me back to square one. The last year has been marked by constant changes that have tested me for flexibility of a trapeze artist considering my resistance to change is unpleasant(very mildly put) to me and others around me. The one thing I have admired in a very good friend but hated being put through was to be able to let go of a structure and not have a boundary. Ironically, its the one thing I have come out learning with all of these changes. My father-in-law that I barely got to spend time with passed away in a month

Lake Tahoe - A quick weekend getaway

One of the best things about being in a place like Bay Area is access to opportunities. No, I am not talking about Silicon Valley, I am talking about opportunities to getaway every weekend. One such weekend destination is North America's second deepest and alpine lake, Lake Tahoe. At an elevation of 6225 ft approx. Lake Tahoe, is easy to get to, and gorgeous as heaven. It has two seasons - gorgeous summers and snow-clad gorgeous winters. My nephew is visiting from the east coast and instead of doing a trip to the city again, this time around we planned on a day trip to Big Sur, the past weekend to Lake Tahoe. Not that these two places are not the usual to-do's but at least I hadn't been to either before. We live in the south bay so its about a 4 1/2 hr drive keeping in mind a pitstop since we were traveling with a toddler. Up until Sacramento and Folsom, it was just a regular drive through the US cities but once we hit the hair pin turns and mountainous terrain of Eldo