Skip to main content

Baby, i am your puppet on a string...

Making me tumble and swing
trouble's what you bring
strange love
strange how, you control my every little move now
hanging from your strings is all i know

Koop probably had a young lad in mind but the words really do reflect my experience as a first time mom! For most women, the core like a good friend says is to cater to everyone around you willingly so when some one steps in to your life that adamantly insists they need you and you alone; its time to say a big 'oh yeahhhh' that's right I am kind of a big deal around here!


People that know me well enough know straight away that I am not a kids person so when the kit turned green indicating someone taking up space in my belly I worried for it. The baby was going to be my guinea pig! The first two weeks are overwhelming with a paramount feeling of attachment after that it's pretty much like a routine of jumping from task to task. The hormonal interactions are purely chemical and considered to be the most powerful forms in nature, and who was I to fight something like that so I willingly succumbed. The surprise however did not lie in watching my husband choke or seeing my mom tear up when she first saw him, the surprise lay in the 3 a.m toothless grin making you feel like your presence pleases somebody so much and that there is no one else they'd rather see on opening their eyes is sure to bring tears to your eyes. 


As I watch my contemporaries and their kids growing up, I always wonder how S is going  to be, is he going to be a troubled sleeper making me want to say "yeh toh mujhe nichod ke rakh dega" (quoting a friend about her daughter, i couldn't stop laughing for an hour), is he going to squat indian style on the dining table almost giving everyone around a heart attack because he couldn't let himself into the washroom, or is he going to pretend to be helpful just to taste some brew out of the 'oh so interesting' green bottle. For now, I will continue to hum in my sleep while beating my chest giving every one the impression of being possessed.

With baby comes a few good things, 




genes, 






... and some beautiful things that the stork leaves behind.




Comments

Neha Ladha said…
What aye Beauty of a writing. Loved it!! I hope your well!
*hugs*

Popular posts from this blog

End of an era!

    bhajagovindaM bhajagovindaM govindaM bhajamuuDhamate . saMpraapte sannihite kaale nahi nahi rakshati DukRiJNkaraNe This was a song I heard, playing on the tape recorder, every single day for the years that I lived with Ammamma. I never bothered understanding the meaning but listening to it now, I know how appropriate it is to her approach to life as she grew older.  Visiting Ammamma in July       At 108, she always had the brightest smile and sense of humour to try and keep an incoherent conversation alive with kids, grandkids, great grandkids & great-great grandkids. All she enjoyed even as she approached her century was prayers, watching the bustling street of Kingsway, a hello to her neighbours and the once in a while indulging herself in a piece of chocolate. Her food and other needs were super minimal. She lived by herself and on her terms. I won't go into the horrors of how adamant at times but instead... My most memorable moments with her were spending time making pa

Life and its relation to the Circle!

Senility begins and middle age ends when descendants outnumber friends. Too early for me to think about middle age and lesser friends but a series of events got me wondering if I was getting there earlier than I am supposed to. With my son away in desh, I was heavily dependent on technology to ensure I stayed in his hippocampus. As most trips to India, this one was heavily planned as well, and I was overtly excited about it but a sudden unfortunate incident brought me back to square one. The last year has been marked by constant changes that have tested me for flexibility of a trapeze artist considering my resistance to change is unpleasant(very mildly put) to me and others around me. The one thing I have admired in a very good friend but hated being put through was to be able to let go of a structure and not have a boundary. Ironically, its the one thing I have come out learning with all of these changes. My father-in-law that I barely got to spend time with passed away in a month

Lake Tahoe - A quick weekend getaway

One of the best things about being in a place like Bay Area is access to opportunities. No, I am not talking about Silicon Valley, I am talking about opportunities to getaway every weekend. One such weekend destination is North America's second deepest and alpine lake, Lake Tahoe. At an elevation of 6225 ft approx. Lake Tahoe, is easy to get to, and gorgeous as heaven. It has two seasons - gorgeous summers and snow-clad gorgeous winters. My nephew is visiting from the east coast and instead of doing a trip to the city again, this time around we planned on a day trip to Big Sur, the past weekend to Lake Tahoe. Not that these two places are not the usual to-do's but at least I hadn't been to either before. We live in the south bay so its about a 4 1/2 hr drive keeping in mind a pitstop since we were traveling with a toddler. Up until Sacramento and Folsom, it was just a regular drive through the US cities but once we hit the hair pin turns and mountainous terrain of Eldo