Skip to main content

Got a fast car and flew away!

"Karna wake up! How long are you going to sleep like that... its late in the morning" was something that fell on his selectively deaf ears until the 1yr old dutifully crept into the bed and kissed her brother awake. She plonked herself stubbornly on the wild grass bang opposite daddy's office till the responsible 3yr old convinced her, picked her up in his arms and took her back.
As they set up the beds and tv on the roof for a Wednesday night with Byomkesh Bakshi, the power went out so they all just lay on the mattress and stared at the stars instead. It got really late that night and the kids didn't know what to do because the parents were out economically shopping for sanitary ware for the under-construction house so she oiled his hair, fed him, held on tightly to him and they both slipped into their respective dream lands with Renuka Shahane's voice in the background as she spoke about sawaal-jawaab, and he never got tired of listening to 'muddugare yashoda' in her untrained yet crystal voice.

They've all been haunting me from the time I heard that the house on Indiranagar next to the old Khammam dairy was last inhabited by us. Looks like it wasn't meant to be anyone else's just like our Tarnaka house which last saw us 3 kids fighting to get a ride on our dad's bullet. They said it was haunted but at the same time it was hauntingly beautiful with guava trees, and many others. It was the summer house for all our cousins who would run all day long playing around the trees occasionally dipping their steel glasses into the drum of Rasna after they licked the back of their palms saying 'tampleez'(short for 'time please'). Its now a boring swanky apartment maybe with a bunch of "IT professionals" like us. Oh please send me back into the Sepia mode!

Why this sudden bout of nostalgia .... I don't know ... maybe it was the episode of Byomkesh Bakshi I stumbled on DD the other day while looking for the latest travel channels, maybe its the fact that my parents and my older brother drove down to Khammam just to enjoy old memories in person, or maybe its just that I can't believe I saw my own blood(almost) just 2 weeks ago kicking his legs and cooing his way into our hearts and wished I was in the crib instead of him just so I could grow up a little and confirm if I was indeed my mom's golden one :)

All these are a few of my favorite things!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End of an era!

    bhajagovindaM bhajagovindaM govindaM bhajamuuDhamate . saMpraapte sannihite kaale nahi nahi rakshati DukRiJNkaraNe This was a song I heard, playing on the tape recorder, every single day for the years that I lived with Ammamma. I never bothered understanding the meaning but listening to it now, I know how appropriate it is to her approach to life as she grew older.  Visiting Ammamma in July       At 108, she always had the brightest smile and sense of humour to try and keep an incoherent conversation alive with kids, grandkids, great grandkids & great-great grandkids. All she enjoyed even as she approached her century was prayers, watching the bustling street of Kingsway, a hello to her neighbours and the once in a while indulging herself in a piece of chocolate. Her food and other needs were super minimal. She lived by herself and on her terms. I won't go into the horrors of how adamant at times but instead... My most memorable moments with her were spending time making pa

Life and its relation to the Circle!

Senility begins and middle age ends when descendants outnumber friends. Too early for me to think about middle age and lesser friends but a series of events got me wondering if I was getting there earlier than I am supposed to. With my son away in desh, I was heavily dependent on technology to ensure I stayed in his hippocampus. As most trips to India, this one was heavily planned as well, and I was overtly excited about it but a sudden unfortunate incident brought me back to square one. The last year has been marked by constant changes that have tested me for flexibility of a trapeze artist considering my resistance to change is unpleasant(very mildly put) to me and others around me. The one thing I have admired in a very good friend but hated being put through was to be able to let go of a structure and not have a boundary. Ironically, its the one thing I have come out learning with all of these changes. My father-in-law that I barely got to spend time with passed away in a month

Lake Tahoe - A quick weekend getaway

One of the best things about being in a place like Bay Area is access to opportunities. No, I am not talking about Silicon Valley, I am talking about opportunities to getaway every weekend. One such weekend destination is North America's second deepest and alpine lake, Lake Tahoe. At an elevation of 6225 ft approx. Lake Tahoe, is easy to get to, and gorgeous as heaven. It has two seasons - gorgeous summers and snow-clad gorgeous winters. My nephew is visiting from the east coast and instead of doing a trip to the city again, this time around we planned on a day trip to Big Sur, the past weekend to Lake Tahoe. Not that these two places are not the usual to-do's but at least I hadn't been to either before. We live in the south bay so its about a 4 1/2 hr drive keeping in mind a pitstop since we were traveling with a toddler. Up until Sacramento and Folsom, it was just a regular drive through the US cities but once we hit the hair pin turns and mountainous terrain of Eldo