Skip to main content

Lake Tahoe - A quick weekend getaway

One of the best things about being in a place like Bay Area is access to opportunities. No, I am not talking about Silicon Valley, I am talking about opportunities to getaway every weekend. One such weekend destination is North America's second deepest and alpine lake, Lake Tahoe. At an elevation of 6225 ft approx. Lake Tahoe, is easy to get to, and gorgeous as heaven. It has two seasons - gorgeous summers and snow-clad gorgeous winters.

My nephew is visiting from the east coast and instead of doing a trip to the city again, this time around we planned on a day trip to Big Sur, the past weekend to Lake Tahoe. Not that these two places are not the usual to-do's but at least I hadn't been to either before.

We live in the south bay so its about a 4 1/2 hr drive keeping in mind a pitstop since we were traveling with a toddler. Up until Sacramento and Folsom, it was just a regular drive through the US cities but once we hit the hair pin turns and mountainous terrain of Eldorado National Forest, the scenery changed to postcard worthy picturesque landscape covered with Pine trees. It was a refreshing change to the concrete jungle we are used to. Lake Tahoe or the route to it might not be the most beautiful thing in the world but its got everything that nature has to offer to you all in one place. Most tourist places tend to be good for winters or good for summers. Lake Tahoe is one place thats good for both. It has the beach for summers and alpine terrain for winters. From what I gather, its the go-to place for most people for ski season.

Day 1: We got there around 6 in the evening and hit the Lakeside beach immediately. After an hour of the usual at the beach, we head to the heated pool at Harvey's (the hotel we were staying at). The best thing to happen to my toddler after being strapped into his car seat for a good 4 hours. We wrapped up the day with dinner at Hard Rock and a gigantic brownie sundae for dessert. Yes, its my go-all-out weekend after 3 weeks of working out regularly and controlled eating.

Day 2: I woke up at 5:30 A.M (wasn't in the plan)! Couldn't get myself to go to sleep again. I call it the 'let me not waste time sleeping during vacation' syndrome. I did some random chores for 2 hours, fed my baby and stepped out to get coffee. One thing led to another and I was on my morning walk to the Lakeside beach. I love that hill station cold in your face with a hot cup of coffee in your hand. It reminds me that life is good, and its these quiet moments that make waking up that early a good thing. Traveling with a toddler can be tiring not because the toddler is troublesome but it just simply means taking care of a number of things and not being able to do everything you want at the time you want to. When you combine this with a family trip, it just increases the number of things you might have to do or accommodate. Don't get me wrong, I love family trips. In fact if it weren't for my family, I wouldn't have had this affinity to travel but there are times you just want that quiet walk for yourself or that silent 10 mins to stare in to the vast expanse of whatever form of nature lies ahead of you.

We kicked off the day with some sight seeing and the Vista point. To be honest the point itself is like a typical viewing point that has a ton of crowd some info boards, and ok visual stimulation. The husband managed to find parking a 5 min walk away and that's where we truly got a good look at the castle side of Lake Tahoe. Getting to the Vikingsholm castle meant climbing down a good steep trail. Doing that with a toddler and a 60yr old was not going to be fun so we just took in the views from the road.

Post lunch, we headed out to do our adventure sport for the day, Parasailing. I am somebody who's jumped off the plane a couple of times, bungee-jumped, rafted, kayaked, abseiled,  and all the other basic adrenaline pumping activities but for the first time I was a tad bit nervous but it is indeed one of the easiest and smoothest things you can do. The higher you go the smoother the ride is so if you are somebody who wants to give it a try, don't be afraid of going higher because thats actually easier and more relaxing. The beach by which we did this had one great thing that I hadn't seen previously, it had shallow waters for almost 20-30 feet in. I saw a bunch of toddlers walking in and playing with their parents like 20 feet into the water.

We soon wound up our trip to Tahoe with a 2 hour cruise which was the better way to look at the Vikingsholm castle I think. Although baby S spent most of his time just staring at the wheels at the rear of the boat but overall it was a nice cruise. I am not a big fan of cruises unless there is something spectacular awaiting so I just whiled my time away sipping on some cocktails.


P.S: This trip again was wayyyyy back in 2016 but ofcourse i am lazy but you know that by now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End of an era!

    bhajagovindaM bhajagovindaM govindaM bhajamuuDhamate . saMpraapte sannihite kaale nahi nahi rakshati DukRiJNkaraNe This was a song I heard, playing on the tape recorder, every single day for the years that I lived with Ammamma. I never bothered understanding the meaning but listening to it now, I know how appropriate it is to her approach to life as she grew older.  Visiting Ammamma in July       At 108, she always had the brightest smile and sense of humour to try and keep an incoherent conversation alive with kids, grandkids, great grandkids & great-great grandkids. All she enjoyed even as she approached her century was prayers, watching the bustling street of Kingsway, a hello to her neighbours and the once in a while indulging herself in a piece of chocolate. Her food and other needs were super minimal. She lived by herself and on her terms. I won't go into the horrors of how adamant at times but instead... My most memorable moments with her were spending time making pa

Life and its relation to the Circle!

Senility begins and middle age ends when descendants outnumber friends. Too early for me to think about middle age and lesser friends but a series of events got me wondering if I was getting there earlier than I am supposed to. With my son away in desh, I was heavily dependent on technology to ensure I stayed in his hippocampus. As most trips to India, this one was heavily planned as well, and I was overtly excited about it but a sudden unfortunate incident brought me back to square one. The last year has been marked by constant changes that have tested me for flexibility of a trapeze artist considering my resistance to change is unpleasant(very mildly put) to me and others around me. The one thing I have admired in a very good friend but hated being put through was to be able to let go of a structure and not have a boundary. Ironically, its the one thing I have come out learning with all of these changes. My father-in-law that I barely got to spend time with passed away in a month